It has been said that the most expensive remodels you will finance in your home are the kitchen and the bathroom. Often this doesn't have to be the case. In fact, if you follow these five steps from our Calgary plumbing experts for bathroom remodeling, you can actually increase your home’s value substantially without breaking the bank.
1. Set a budget. Your budget is going to set the tone for the rest of the bathroom remodeling project. Decide on what you can afford, and stick to it. Don’t forget to factor in the cost of materials as well as any contractor fees (if you’re planning on using them).
2. Do your research. This is the most important step: the planning phase. Will you be using a contractor, or are you planning on doing most of the work yourself? What types of materials are you considering using? Do you want a completely different style of bathtub, or are you just looking to update your other plumbing fixtures? Get an idea of exactly what you’re looking for. Doing this will save you money and will help you enjoy the final result much more.
3. Have an exact plan for materials. This is the time to shop around and find out what you like the most. Whether you’re doing a complete overhaul and you’re looking for everything or you’re just searching for the perfect toilet, shop around, and don’t pick something unless you are sure you need it.
4. Measure dimensions before you buy. This will save you money, time, and stress. Make sure that any materials, furniture, or parts will fit through your bathroom’s entrance. Measure your doorframe and/or windows (if you’re on the ground floor) to figure out if your materials will fit.
5. Be precise in your work. Whether this advice is for you or for your Calgary plumbing contractor, it is incredibly important. Bathrooms are typically small rooms, and the slightest mistakes are easy to see.